|Battery Samuel Rathbone was the second six inch barbette battery at Fort Barry. War Department General Order 194 dated 27 December 1904, named the battery in honor of Lieutenant Sanual B. Rathbone, U.S. Artillerists, who died of wounds received in the attack on Queenstown Heights, Upper Canada in 1812.
In 1922, Battery Rathbone was divided for better management of the weapons, and the two guns on the left flank were named for James F. McIndoe, an engineer officer who served in France as a brigadier general, where he died in 1918.
During World War II the guns from these two batteries were used to defend the minefields outside the Golden Gate from minesweepers.
The battery was inactivated in 1945 and its guns scrapped in 1948.