This foot bridge, known as the Bank Bridge because of the State Bank Building which once stood across the Griboedov canal, is the narrowest bridge in the City, less than two meters wide.
Many highway and foot bridges traverse the canals of St. Petersburg, but this one is the most popular with tourists, who can't resist a photo opp riding the winged lions (griffins). At night, the large bulbs atop the horses provide light. In the background, St. Isaac's Cathedral looms above the Soviet-style housing complex that is under renovation.
The bridge was designed and built in 1825-1826 by Georg von Traitteur, and the griffins were designed by Pavel Sokolov, who also designed the feline figures adorning the popular Lion Bridge (Lvinyy Most) and the Sphinx on Egyptian Bridge (Egiptskiy Most).