Glorious golden onion domes stand atop the beautiful Cathedral of the Annunciation in the Kremlin. The Czars used this Cathedral as their private chapel. This church was built in the 1440s on the site of an earlier church.
In 1572, because Ivan III had married a fourth time, once more than allowed by Church doctrine, he was no longer allowed to worship inside the church. But Church officials placated the Czar by allowing him to build a "porch" onto the church from which he could perform his devotional duties while peering through a screen.