The last standing remains of the officers' quarters are located at Craycroft and Fort Lowell. When the fort was abandoned at the end of the Apache Wars in 1891, the buildings were left empty.
Mrs. Dolly Cates bought the property containing these quarters in 1900 and established "Mrs. Cates' TB Sanitorium." She ran it until 1928 when the Adkins family bought the property.
From Simon Herbert's report on the purchase of this property which was part of the original Fort Lowell:
"...In the 2004 Bond election, Pima County voters elected to support the purchase of the Adkins Steel property.
The Adkins Steel and Tank Manufacturing Company remained in operation until 2006, when Harry Adkins, son of Harvey Adkins, retired from the manufacturing business in the summer of 2006. Following negotiations, the property was transferred to the City of Tucson in a real estate deal that placed ownership of the Adkins property with the City. The bond funds originally designated for purchase of the property in 2004 were redesignated for use in the repair and restoration of the property.
Following transfer of the Adkins property to the City of Tucson in 2006, it is possible that the portion of the Fort containing the remaining original Officers’ Quarters from ca.1875 can be included in the boundary description of the Fort Lowell Historic District...."