"Here lie 4776 Union soldiers, more than a third unknown. Built by Maryland and other Union states, it was dedicated 5 years after the battle. In 1933 the battlefield and cemetery were transferred to the National Park Service."
NPS sign on cemetery grounds
There are no Confederate soldiers buried here. They were buried in several different cemeteries in nearby towns.