Construction began in 1920 shortly after the completion of the Columbia River Highway and was financed by Simon Benson.
Perched on the cliff overlooking the Columbia, it was designed by Oregon architect Morris H. Whitehouse and built for about $400,000. It opened in June 1921 and was managed by Master Chef Henry Thiele for a number of years. Presidents and movie stars alike were guests.
In 1952 the Neighbors of Woodcraft purchased the structure and operated it as a home for the aged.
In 1978 work began to return the hotel to its grand elegance of earlier years and today it is once again welcoming guests.
Listed on NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES