Built in 1928 for $160,000 and purportedly designed by Joseph Strauss, designer of the Golden Gate Bridge, The McPhaul Bridge was the longest suspension bridge in Arizona when it opened in 1929.
Named after Harry McPhaul, the only Yuman to become an Arizona Ranger.
The bridge is located on an historic site for this was a Gila River crossing point for Indians, conquistadors, missionaries, the Mormon Battalion, and Butterfield Stage.
An interesting construction point: The roadbed is made of timber planks with a layer of asphalt on top with timber planks running along the edge of the roadway.
Today it's totally blocked off to auto and foot traffic with signs saying it's a dangerous bridge. This may be due mostly to fire damage done to the bridge a few years ago from a homeless person's campfire.
Listed on the Arizona State Register of Engineering Sites