Built in 1854, the Old Point Loma lighthouse guided sailors from 1855-1891 along the foggy coast. This lighthouse is one of the first eight lighthouses built on the Pacific coast.
In WWII the Navy used the building as a signal tower.
Because fog often obscured the light beacon, another lighthouse was built on Pelican Point in the late 1890's. That lighthouse is still in use today.