A REFLECTED CITADEL QUARTER 639
WINNER : Travel/Europe Holiday/Around Dunkirk Sept 2008 gallery
At the East Harbour the old quarter is taking on a new look.... renovated warehouses, a brightly-coloured university, a library and a fine arts museum
PLANTY PARK . 1
Near the Florian Gate and the Barbican.
A FIRST COWS ARRIVE . 1 848
What a pretty bunch!
A ASTRONOMICAL CLOCK . 2 1081
Close up of the clock face
See previous images for more info.
Old Town Square
Size of the lemons grown in Amalfi!
FARM ON THE MOUNTAIN
WINNER : TRAVEL/AUSTRIA/SCHRUNS 2014 GALLERY
On the Hochjoch Mountain, Schruns.
Not sure if he is on his mobile, or just unhappy body language.
Budapest Advent Market
Wetterstein Mountains view
Beautiful Chocolatier Building
A THE CLOTH HALL & THE TOWN HALL 774
WINNER : TRAVEL/YPRES/IEPER JUN 09/AROUND YPRES TOWN CENTRE GALLERY
The imposing Cloth Hall was built in the 13th century and was one of the largest commercial buildings of the Middle Ages. During the First World War it was completely destroyed, except for the lower portion of the belfry and a few pieces of wall of the west wing. The structure which stands today is the exact copy of the original medieval building, rebuilt after the war. The belfry houses a 49-bell carillon, and the In Flanders Fields Museum is housed on the first floor.
The town hall, facing the front in this picture, was also rebuilt. It was originally constructed in 1619 against the east wall of the cloth hall, and has a gothic arcade.
The whole complex, in the market square, was designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1999.
Rising behind these buildings is St Martins Cathedral which was originally built in 1221, and also completely reconstructed after WWI
The 'New' Church in the Market Place.....building started in 1396. In 1496, exactly one hundred years later, the original tower was finally completed.
Less than fifty years afterwards in 1536, this tower was struck by lightning and part of it burned down. It was then replaced by a low steeple. This steeple was also damaged by lightning in 1872. It was only then that the present steeple was built to a height of 109 metres, making it the second highest in Holland.