St. George's Church is another memorial to British and Commonwealth troops who lost their lives in WWI. Soon after the war there was an idea of having an Anglican church in Ypres. The intention was to build it not only as a memorial but also as somewhere for the relatives of the fallen to visit and find a peaceful place for reflection. The foundation stone was laid in 1927. The exterior design for the building was a simple, elegant brick building, in keeping with the buildings being reconstructed in their original pre-war style surrounding it in the town centre, yet more in the style of an English parish church. On 24th March 1929 the Bishop of Fulham dedicated the completed church and opened it for worship. When Ypres came under German occupation during WWII, the local people took away many of the items from the church to hide them for safe-keeping.
St. George's Memorial Church is in the Church of England's Diocese in Europe. In recent years there has been renewed interest in WWI by families tracing a relative who fought in that war. Many visitors to Ypres now call in to St. George's church, either to look at the special memorials or to spend a few moments of quiet reflection. Brass plaques, commemorating an individual, a unit, regiment or an organisation, are found on all walls throughout the church and in the porch. There are stained glass windows on either side of the aisle, in memory of the Royal Air Force, the Royal Artillery, the Royal Army Medical Corps as well as a number of other regiments, including their battle honours. Various regimental banners hang from the walls on either side of the aisle .