On a vital trade route to Italy...... founded in 1330 by the Bavarian Emperor Ludwig......it is one of the most significant Benedictine abbeys in the Alpine region. The original structure was modest in design, but additions over the years gradually created the abbey’s dramatic style. The Baroque additions began in 1709 and the architecture that exists today began in 1744 after a large part of the abbey was destroyed by fire. It has a particularly impressive dome fresco. Benedictine monks still live at the abbey today. 1619 saw the founding of an abbey inn and brewery whose tradition continues to this day. The abbey is open to visitors, still brews its own beer and also produces a renowned herbal liqueur made from 40 herbs.