Constructed in 1879 and first lit in 1880, the Currie Harbour is a screw-pile foundation design. The entire assembly, 312 pieces, was pre-fabricated in England by Chance Bros, and is of wrought iron and a cast iron base. The cylinder in the centre has 90 spiral steps.
* In 1899, a 1st order revolving lens with an oil wick lamp was installed.
* In 1923, the oil lamp was replaced by a pressure kerosene burner with an incandescent mantle.
* In 1940, the existing 4th order lens was installed.
* In 1941, the original light apparatus replaced by an acetylene gas burner.
* In 1957, the light was connect to electric mains power.
* The light continued in operation until 1989 when it was turned off.
The substitute light was sited on a steel pole some 80-100m south of the tower proper. This provided a temporary light for mariners.
The light was switched on again by the governor of Tasmania, Sir Phillip Bennet on 15 March 1995.
King Island forms a barrier to the western approach to Bass Strait, which vessels must navigate. The area between the island and Cape Otway, on the Victorian Coast, is known as the "Eye of the Needle", and has claimed many ships and lives. King Island's rugged coastline alone has claimed at least 60 vessels and more than 800 lives during the past 180 years.
FOR A DETAILED STUDY OF THIS INTERESTING STRUCTURE GO TO: http://www.pbase.com/alexhowen/gallery/currie_lighthouse