Click on ORIGINAL below to see the largest image size
The photo depicts no activity at the airport due to the lack of aircraft on the ramps but sources report that the airfield was used for training purposes by airline flight crews doing touch and goes here with prop airliners on short hops from Miami International Airport to the south in the mid 50's.
The airport was located at 25.88N/80.26W, two miles south of Opa-locka Naval Air Station on LeJeune Road. Famed aviator Glenn Curtiss was the original owner of the airport and he gave it to the City of Miami in 1928. Sources state that the airport was served by both Eastern and National Airlines. The airport had three hangars at one time, with one having the word "MIAMI" painted on the roof but one of the hangars burned down in the 30's.
In 1937 Amelia Earhart departed Miami Municipal on her ill-fated final flight attempting to fly around the world.
The Navy purchased the airport from the City of Miami in 1942 and used it throughout World War II as one of six satellite airfields for Miami Naval Air Station (the current Opa-locka Executive Airport). These airfields provided pilot training for Avengers, Dauntlesses and PB-4Y Privateers.
Miami Municipal Airport and Masters Field to the east were connected by one taxiway that crossed over the Seaboard railroad tracks. The Navy called Miami Municipal "South Field #2" and "Navy Municipal Field" and used the airfield for personnel transport flights and flight training.
On October 26, 1947, the airport was rededicated as Amelia Earhart Field in honor of her accomplishments and the fact that she departed from there on her last flight.