On short final approach in a chartered Aero Commander while a Braniff DC-8 is towed midfield across the runway. Note the old style turnoff taxiways from runway 9L and the diagonal "Route 4" taxiway leading from the terminal to the 9L/12 runup pad. Other notes:
1. The old Perimeter Road with adjacent canal is there, closer to the end of runway 9-left and a great makeout place in the mid-60's.
2. There is no interior service road around the west end of the airport or in other parts of the airfield.
3. Old runway 12 is visible - this runway was moved 100+ feet to the southwest in the early 80's.
4. Runway 9R-27L has not been lengthened from 9300+ feet to 13,002 feet yet.
5. The E-Satellite was under construction and would not open for another year.