On short final approach in a chartered Aero Commander while a Braniff DC-8 is towed midfield across the runway. Note the old style turnoff taxiways from runway 9L and the diagonal "Route 4" taxiway leading from the terminal to the 9L/12 runup pad. Other notes:
1. The old Perimeter Road with adjacent canal is there, closer to the end of runway 9-left and a great makeout place in the mid-60's.
2. There is no interior service road around the west end of the airport or in other parts of the airfield.
3. Old runway 12 is visible - this runway was moved 100+ feet to the southwest in the early 80's.
4. Runway 9R-27L has not been lengthened from 9300+ feet to 13,002 feet yet.
5. The E-Satellite was under construction and would not open for another year.
6. The U. S. Postal Service's General Mail Facility on Milam Dairy Road is under construction on the lower right side.